As the weekend comes to an end, I’m struck by just how amazing of a city Tempe is. I know, I know, everyone says that about their city, but in Tempe, I think it’s really true. This is what happened, JUST THIS WEEKEND.
1. Woody Wilson, just a regular resident with a love of jazz, put on yet another great show at Tempe Center for the Arts as part of the Lakeshore Jazz series. The piano player was nothing short of starting. Words can hardly describe the talent.
2. Tempe Leadership, again, just a bunch of residents using their own passion and time, put on a carnival style event at the grassy area next to the Mill in support of a bike corral at Tempe Beach Park they want to build.
3. A group of neighbors put on the Neighborhood Olympics in Daley Park with 100’s of people across 5-6 neighborhoods. They didn’t do it for any other reasons except because they love their community.
4. Mitchell Park NA dedicated art work just off of Hardy Ave. They use a local artist and a neighborhood grant to put in something really beautiful.
5. In Maple/Ash a group of students decided to have a community photo scavenger hunt. For no reason at all, just because it was fun, and it gave them a reason to run around the area, take photos, and socialize afterwards.
6. The 2014 Community Survey came out saying that 85% of Tempe residents said they were “very satisfied” or “satisfied” with the “quality of life in Tempe”
7. I received 15-20 emails from residents logging complaints/concerns about their area related to cats, parking, plastic bags, and other things, which is WONDERFUL, because that means we have residents who really care about their community…and, equally impressive….
8. When I forwarded those emails to applicable staff members, responses started rolling in to the residents. On Sunday, at 6pm… because that is how amazing Tempe staff is.
Even more impressive, I have no doubt this isn’t even a complete list I’ve written out, it’s just the things I went to this weekend. The complete list is mind-blowing, no doubt!
Of course, there are things to improve, and things that could be better, but I wanted to at least take a minute to say, things are also pretty amazing, and Tempe residents and staff are a huge reason for it.