The Tempe History Museum does a terrific job of presenting Tempe’s past with an impressive array of fun and interesting interactive exhibits. But, the museum also presents a number of free concerts and lectures, films and fun music events. This weekend the Museum is hosting two music events, one with a historic bent and one very much in the present.
On March 14, 7 p.m., the Museum, in partnership with the ASU Public History Program, will bring us images and music from the Great Depression of the 1930s. The 198 String Band will perform lesser-known songs from the 1930s against a backdrop of compelling Depression-era documentary photographs. The sequences of the songs and streaming images will be interwoven with audio excerpts from oral histories, poems and narratives, as well as historical commentary.
On March 16 the Museum, in partnership with Classical Revolution PHX, will be fully in the present with LOUD II: An Outdoor Celebration of LOUD Bands and Food Trucks, 2-6 p.m. The family-friendly event will feature sustainable green themes, loud music, bold flavors and arts and crafts. Bands, including Mana Sax Orchestra AZ, Bad Cactus Brass Band and the B-One Quartet will perform recycled and re-purposed music in new arrangements. The weather forecast for Saturday is perfect, so bring a picnic blanket, enjoy the sunshine, music, delicious food and green arts and crafts while learning more about sustaining our world. Event admission is free. Food trucks will provide tasty fare for a charge.
In addition to the Tempe History Museum activities, there are many other exciting arts, culture and entertainment options Tempe offers this week, including a some raucous St. Patrick’s Day events. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- March 11: Paul McDermand Steel Drums; Viola Recital by Hong-Mei Xiao, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 12: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- March 12: Vicki McDermitt Trio: Vicki McDermitt, Dwight Kilian, Todd Johnson, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- March 13: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 13: David Bernstein; March 14: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- March 14: An Evening with the 198 String Band: Keep on Moving: Songs of the 1930s,Tempe History Museum
- March 14: Music on Mill, Mill Avenue District
- March 15: Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Kirsten Alberts, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 15: The Brazen Heads, Desert Botanical Garden
- March 15: Arizona Masterworks Chorale, King of Glory Lutheran Church
- March 15: Sea Merchants; March 16: St Patrick’s Day Training: Trevor Jones; Sea Merchants, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- March 15-16: Brian DeMarco, Top of the Rocks
- March 15: 1967; March 16: Ratio, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- March 15: Jess Hawk Oakenstar; March 16: Tony Putrino, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- March 16: LOUD II: An Outdoor Celebration of LOUD Bands and Food Trucks, Tempe History Museum
- March 16: Stu Siefert Combo, Robbie Fox’s Public House
- March 17: Green 17 Tour Featuring Flogging Molly, Tempe Beach Park
- March 17: Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Rula Bula Irish Pub