Childsplay brings us something delightfully different this weekend with a special, limited run of the play Boats from the critically acclaimed Terrapin Puppet Theatre based in Tasmania. Thanks to Childsplay, Tempe is one of a few U.S. cities to be graced with this lovely, unusual show that combines puppets, acrobatics and sound effects.
Boats is a story about a man called Jof, as told by his friend Nic. The two of them are life-long friends and sailors who met through bizarre circumstances involving a chicken, a deserted island and a sombrero. It’s the story of two mariners fleeing their past and embracing adventure. The audience watches the magic being created right in front of them as Jof and Nic transform the world using everyday objects that would be found on a boat’s galley. Each scene is a unique and highly inventive use of space and puppetry. A boat is built from a piece of bread and ropes; a hat becomes an island; a circus is created from a jacket; and a storm is brewed in a teacup.
Don’t miss this moving story that promises to leave a lump in your throat and a smile on your face. Boats will be performed in the studio at the Tempe Center for the Arts at 1 & 4 p.m. on March 30 and at 4 p.m. on March 31. Families attending on Easter Sunday, March 31, can participate in a special arts & crafts activity after the show with the cast! Following in the creative spirit of Boats, kids can create their own Easter-themed sail boat to release into the infinity pool at Tempe Center for the Arts. Visit http://tca.ticketforce.com/ to purchase tickets for the show and your spot in the Bunny Boat Float will be secured automatically.
This last week in March brings perfect weather, final spring training games and a great lineup of arts, culture and entertainment events to enjoy. View a complete list of Tempe events, or call the Tempe Tourism Office at 1-866-914-1052 for more information.
- March 26: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- March 26: Nicole Pesce & Jerry Donato, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- March 27: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 27: David Bernstein; March 28: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- March 27: Tech N9NE; March 28: SevenDust & Coal Chamber, Marquee Theater
- March 28: Outliars Comedy Club, Robby Fox’s Public House
- March 28: Music on Mill, Mill Avenue District
- March 28: Jeff Sullivan; March 29: The Sullivans, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- March 29: Class Clowns Comedy; Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Kevin O’Dea’s Stand-Up Comedy Circus, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 30: Phoenix Symphony: Robert Moody Returns, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 29: Brian DeMarco; March 30: Bill Dutcher, Top of the Rocks
- March 29: Think Horses; March 30: Knee Deep Experience, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- March 29: Grady Soiné; March 30: Scott Jeffers, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- March 29: Mindless Self Indulgence; March 30: Maximum Cavalera Tour with Soulfly, Marquee Theater
- March 30: Stu Siefert Combo , Robbie Fox’s Public House
- March 30: Music in the Garden: Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta, Desert Botanical Garden
- March 30-31: Childsplay Presents Boats, Tempe Center for the Arts