Trying to beat the train, was not the best choice for a 28-year-old man who was struck by a light rail car on Saturday evening in Phoenix. An ABC 15 story reports that, after running across the street, he tripped and was hit by the train. I don’t have access to his name or much more information than this.
I realize this incident did not occur in Tempe, but it could easily happen in any city. The ABC15 story was an important reminder because the light rail runs through many populated streets of Tempe. This is the perfect time to learn from another’s mistake. This man is in the hospital and hopefully will get better, but others could benefit from learning of his accident. Alcohol and bad judgement may have been factors, and in Tempe there are many bars in close proximity to the light rail. I wouldn’t want this to happen to any fellow Sun Devil fans!
Pay attention and be safe around the light rail!
METRO SAFETY TIPS:
(From the About.com website.)
- Obey traffic and pedestrian crosswalk signs- don’t cross if it’s not your turn!
- Look and listen for trains at ALL intersections. This is an individual responsibility in areas where trains are known to travel.
- The light rail is quiet- Look for flashing headlights and listen for bells.
- Don’t stop your car on the train tracks. This especially means on the congested area near Tempe Campus and University Drive!!
- Be careful around overhead voltage lines.