Legendary Singer/songwriter/producer and inventor Jerry Riopelle will perform with local artists Blaine Long, Marconias and Roxie Whipple in a night of original music, hosted by Walt Richardson, at the Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA), May 17, 7:30 p.m.
Jerry Riopelle first came on the scene in the 1970s and has maintained a loyal fan base ever since. His music reflects various genres such as rhythm and blues, rock and country, jazz and reggae. He is known not only as an entertainer, but also as a song writer and inventor. Several of his Top 40 hits have been recorded by artists, including Herb Alpert, Joan Baez, Leon Russell, Kenny Loggins, Rita Coolidge and Meat Loaf. He has also written many songs for films and television. He is a member of the Arizona Music and Entertainment Hall of Fame.
Jerry invented and received patents for Beamz®, a laser-based musical device for which he was awarded the 2003 Innovator of the Year award at the Arizona Technology Expo. Since then, the device has won additional awards for its benefits in recreational music and occupational therapy.
Jerry Riopelle’s performance is part of the award-winning Songwriter’s Showcase series produced by the TCA and filmed for television and Internet by Tempe’s government access channel Tempe 11. The series features selected local performers from TCA’s Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night and In the Spotlight events who join a regional headliner for a night of live original music. Past headliners include Gin Blossoms co-founder Jesse Valenzuela, four-time Grammy nominee William Eaton, Arizona Blues favorite Hans Olson, Obadiah Parker and The Sugar Thieves. The series appears on local PBS channels in Phoenix, Tucson and other government access channels around the state.
There are many more great events taking place in Tempe this week. See below for more and view a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- May 14: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 14: Blaise Lantana Birthday Party, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- May 14- June 1: Topia 2013, Desert Botanical Garden
- May 15: Chris Bennett, Tempe Improv
- May 15: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 16-19: Bob Marley, Tempe Improv
- May 16: Tim Hawley, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 16: Third Thursday on Mill: 2nd Annual Collector Car Night, Mill Avenue District
- May 16: Outliars Comedy Club, Robby Fox’s Public House
- May 16: Halocene, Lost in Atlantis, Tempe Marketplace District Plaza
- May 17: Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Gert the Joke Lady; Funny Times 10, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 17: Songwriters’ Showcase IX with Special Guest Jerry Riopelle, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 17: Los Guys featuring Mark Zubia; May 18: Hello Swindon, Tempe Marketplace District Plaza
- May 17: Colton Avery; May 18: Jamie Reynolds, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- May 17: Snake Burner; May 18: The Sullivans, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 17 & 18: Brian De Marco, Top of the Rock
- May 18: Bag It Film Screening, Tempe Center for the Arts Sculpture Garden & Gallery
- May 18: We Were Strangers/Colton Avery, Marquee Theater
- May 18: Stu Siefert Combo, Robbie Fox’s Public House
- May 18-26: Childsplay Presents: A Wrinkle in Time, Tempe Center for the Arts